Time for this month's Recipe Redux! This month, I'm taking on one of our house favorites, Chicken Stroganoff. Beef Stroganoff is a childhood favorite of mine, and one that my mother made often. However, the hubby and I don't eat a lot of red meat. And if I have steak in the house, you can bet I'm not disguising it under stroganoff. So, we substitute chicken. Looking back at my original pictures, it was time for an update-
I'm always surprised what pictures lead people to my website. Shockingly enough, often times it's really old recipes. Like this one. I first posted Chicken Stroganoff on May 7, 2012. Just in case you might have forgotten, here's what was happening the world when I first posted this recipe:
• The hubby and I still lived in that rental in Ashland.
• We were dealing with Gizmo's Trauma at the Groomers. Plus, that was the last time Gizmo ever went to a groomer.
•The hubby and I moved in with his aunt and uncle.
And elsewhere in the world-
•The Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup.
•The Rover landed on Mars.
•Hurricane Sandy struck.
•Gangham Style had taken the world by storm.
•The summer Olympics and Ryan Lochte happened.
•Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got divorced. Oh, the end of TomKat.
•Remember Call Me Maybe?
•And finally, the world had not yet ever seen that infamous "Wrecking Ball" video and Miley Cyrus was still engaged to Liam Hemsworth.
We were all just a little bit more innocent back then, weren't we? :-)
Back to zee stroganoff, no?
If there's one thing that is still the same from 2012, it's that chicken is still very brown. Brown food tastes better, and that's one thing that will never change!
The creamy, savory, delicious sauce that coats the chicken, mushrooms, and noodles is surprisingly only 3 ingredients. Sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and chicken broth. Easy peasy.
There's nothing like a handful of freshly chopped herbs to green up the dish.
The gist of chicken stroganoff is this- brown the chicken. Remove from the pan, and add your mushrooms. Add your sauce ingredients. Once the saucy sauce is creamy and smooth, add the noodles and the browned chicken. Mix, sprinkle with fresh parsley, and you are done. This is a quick meal, on the table in 30 minutes. All you need to do is add a side salad and a nice glass of wine, and you are done. A domestic goddess (or god, hehe) of the kitchen in half an hour, you will be.
You're welcome :-)
That's all for this month's Recipe Redux. I hope you all have a lovely fall day!
Ingredients (serves 4):
6 ounces dried egg noodles
1 large chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp flour, divided
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1 tbsp olive oil, divided
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
garnish- parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Combine chicken, 1 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in large ziplock bag. Seal, and shake until all chicken pieces are coated. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken. Cook 1-2 minutes, or until chicken is browned. Remove from pan, and set aside. Chicken should be cooked through at this point.
4. Wipe skillet out with a paper towel. Add remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil to pan. When warm, add mushrooms. Sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add garlic, and dried basil. Sauté for another minute.
5. Add chicken broth to pan. Simmer for 1 minute. Add flour. Stir until flour is thoroughly mixed in. Add sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining salt and pepper to pan. Cook until thickened slightly.
6. Add noodles, chicken, and parsley to pan. Thoroughly mix. Remove from heat. Divide between plates, and top with Parmesan cheese, if using.
|Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.|
If you liked this recipe, you may enjoy these-
Linked to: Treasure Box Tuesday, Create It Thursday, Thank Goodness It's Thursday, Weekend Potluck, Foodie Friday, Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party