Just one more Spanish Rice recipe! It's conceivable, after eating Spanish Rice for dinner, lunch, and then making soup out of it, that you might have a little bit leftover. Fajitas would be fun, but burritos? I can make burritos in my sleep. One of my favorite foods to eat. In fact, I'll make this confession- it's not an unusual week for me to open a can of refried beans and have bean burritos all week for lunch. A nice warm tortilla, creamy beans, cheese, and sour cream, all topped with freshly made salsa? Yes, please! "Yes, please!" all week long. However, it's always nice to change up the burrito and fill it with out-of-the-ordinary deliciousness. For me, that's adding chicken, as we don't keep chicken meat on hand 24/7. However, roasting a chicken last week left me some leftover morsels. And then, there's rice. Because it's not every day I have Spanish Rice in the fridge. Salsa, on the other hand, you will always find in my fridge.
So, with these chicken burritos, I finally bid adieu to the Spanish Rice. If you've been reading the last couple of posts, you're probably sick and tired of Spanish Rice. I hope I've convinced you of 2 things-
1. How economical making a batch of Spanish Rice is- A recipe utilizing pantry ingredients that most people keep on hand. Plus, using the rice for multiple recipes and dinners saves moola as well.
2. How much of a time saver this could be- Make this one night and save time later in the week!
All right, I can promise you, you've seen the last of the Spanish Rice for awhile. I cannot promise you won't see any more Mexican recipes though. The hubby and I are heading out soon for Cancun, after all. I must prepare my stomach for the festivities. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself!
Today is the hubby's birthday so I can assure you, there will be no Mexican food today. We had his family over yesterday to celebrate with cake and ice cream. I mentioned earlier I was hoping he would choose the Boston Cream Pie. He did not. Alas, he chose Carrot Cake. It turned out fabulously, by the way. I'll be sure to share the recipe later in the week, or maybe next week if other recipes take priority. Last week was fantastic for light as far as photography goes, so I've got a few recipes in the pipeline. I love having recipes in the pipeline. It's a much better feeling to open the blog and choose from several recipes to feature vs. opening the blog and panicking over having nothing to post. Or fretting about the fact that dark clouds have converged around my house at the perfect photography time. In the meantime, today is the hubby's day. We have nothing planned yet, so we'll see what that kid wants to do today. I mean, besides devouring the last of his Carrot Cake :)
Happy Birthday Hubby! And Happy Monday friends!
Ingredients (makes 2 burritos):
1 cup Spanish Rice
1/2 cup cooked chicken, shredded
2 tbsp sour cream
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup lettuce, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Fresh Salsa
1. Place Spanish Rice in a microwave-safe dish and heat until warm, stirring once.
2. Place chicken in a small skillet over medium heat. Toss until warm. Remove from heat. (You can heat the chicken in the microwave if desired, but I think it gives the chicken a weird flavor.)
3. Place tortillas on a microwave safe plate. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30-45 seconds.
4. Spread 1 tbsp sour cream on warm tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup of chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 the cheese, lettuce, and salsa. Roll tortilla to wrap it up. Repeat with 2nd tortilla. Serve immediately!
If you liked this recipe, you may enjoy these: