Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Spicy Bean and Rice Burritos
Funny thing about the Internet. Some things just seem to travel, and travel, and travel. I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and it was love at first sight. I just had.to.have. Like, now. Upon doing a little more research tonight though, I found this recipe at Tasty Kitchen. Where it came from A Bitchin' Kitchen. Where it came from my website of choice, Cooking Light. What a small world the Internet is :)
This is one of the only new recipes I've tried in the last 2 months, mainly because I looked at the recipe and knew there was no way it wouldn't be good. And good it was. I had leftovers for lunch today, I could have had leftovers for dinner tonight, and I will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. It was perfecto for Meatless Monday.
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 whole pepper from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp liquid from can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tsp cumin
2 pinches cayenne
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup fresh salsa
6- whole tortillas, burrito sized, warmed
Shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, sour cream, and more salsa for serving
1. Heat canola oil in a large skillet. Add garlic through cayenne to the skillet. Cook briefly, about 30 seconds.
2. Add both cans of beans and water to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, lower heat, and cook for 6-8 minutes. Slightly mash beans as it heats.
3. Add rice and salsa to the skillet. Stir to combine, remove from heat.
4. Divide bean mixture among tortillas down the center. Garnish with cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and more salsa. Roll up tortillas. Serve immediately.
5. There is a step 5 for me, and that would be restraining myself from eating 2 burritos :)