Since I am making breakfast for dinner tonight, I decided to make a breakfast-y type muffin for dinner tonight. The hubby loves cornbread and I had a jalapeno in the fridge, so I decided to give it a whirl. I adapted a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa's, found here.
They turned out really good, very yummy! A nice ego boost after the chicken fiasco. I used a good quality cheddar and it gives the muffins a really nice flavor. The texture is good as well, light and fluffy. I wouldn't say it tastes like a traditional cornbread, but I am guessing that's due to the flour/cornmeal ratio.
Here's the recipe for these little suckers (makes 12 standard size muffins)-
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup milk
1 1/2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 ounces Cheddar, shredded
1 jalapeno, minced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl (flour through salt).
3. In a another large mixing bowl combine milk, eggs, and butter.
4. With a wooden spoon, stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir just until most lumps are dissolved.
5. Fold in cheese and jalapenos.
6. Let mixture sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
7. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
8. Fill the muffin pan and bake 15-20 or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature.