It's done, it's finally done!
A funny thing happens to those who like to take pictures, and take them often. You start to lose any patience with bad pictures. You start to become a little bit of a perfectionist, not wanting to share any pictures that are less than perfect. That's exactly how I've been with this project. Taking and re-taking. Re-taking and taking more pictures. Moaning over shadows and light and angles, and a million other things that I'm sure I'm the only one who cares about.
I'm done. I've decided that the layout of the master bedroom and the location, size, etc. of the windows in the room are always going to produce lighting and angles that are not pleasing to me. Enough is enough, and it's time to share the update.
So, I will take a short break from food and all things foodie to take a look at the new bed!
I tried really hard to find some "before" photos. There weren't a lot, and I wish I had better. Here's a few pics of what the room looked like before:
Our old bedding. This is right after we moved in, which is why the decor is a little sparse.
End of the bed.
My bedside table. The hubby's looked similar, at least it had the same lamp. And, again, I wish I had a picture of the wall behind the bed, which was previously empty.
The first thing we did was hang some pictures behind the bed. I originally had picked 3 photos, with the two on the end being black and white, and the middle being a colored photo. I didn't like the way it looked at all. We decided to add another picture, and to make them all black and white. Definitely the way to go.
And, the bed! Probably the most important part, right? We went with Pottery Barn's "Stratton" bed, which is a storage, platform bed. There are storage baskets all around the base of the bed.
The baskets are well-made and of great quality, plus they are HUGE! I've already stored extra linens, pillows, and blankets in some of the baskets.
I am not the world's biggest print person (hence the solid bedding colors), but I actually liked the paisley print on these pillows. I think the draw was how good they looked with coral color of the quilt and shams we picked. I like adding a little bit of print to add something interesting to the bedding.
I was also surprised with how well the chainlink pillow went with the paisley. More texture and interest.
The only aspect I'm not 100% sold on? The throw.
I first pictured a throw that I could fold at the the bottom of the bed, similar to the quilt but thinner. With standard throws measuring 50 x 60, I'm going to need a much longer throw if I'm going to fold it at the end of the bed. But I want a chunky knit texture, and I'm not having much luck finding one under $200. I will continue to look. In the meantime, I've been haphazardly draping the throw. The hubby likes it, so it's working for now.
Which brings me to the lamps! Oh, how I love the lamps. I was leaning towards those bulbous, glass, clear lamps (like this) but then I saw these turquoise lamps. The color worked perfectly with the bedding and provided another pop of color. Color was definitely missing from our bedroom decor before. I also picked up the "Mr" and "Mrs" signs from the craft store, just an added touch.
I really love how it turned out.
And let me tell you, it's a struggle forcing myself out of bed in the morning. Plus, there's another benefit- my back is continually improving since we bought the bed. Every day it feels a little bit better. The hubby and I think the old mattress may have been too soft on back support. Whatever the reason, I'm just thankful.
Haloti wandered in while I was taking photos. I'm sure he was wondering what the heck I was doing standing on the chair- his chair!- in the corner of the room.
He then had to jump up on the bed-
For some furry photobombing. Needless to say, new bed and bedding = doggy approved :)
All in all, the hubby and I are very, very happy campers.
Happy Monday everyone!