Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pepper-jack, Chicken, and Peach Quesadillas


I'm currently in one of those phases where I like fruit in the most unexpected places, in combos I've never tried. I like to consider myself a foodie, but the truth is there are so many flavors my palette hasn't tasted. There are many vegetables I don't cook with, many fruits I haven't tried. I don't cook with different squashes, such as spaghetti or butternut. I don't cook with beets. I don't cook with radishes. I've never tried a fig. Or a starfruit. Conquer these, I must.

I love how the peach in this quesadilla really ramps up the flavor. It's the star of the dish. I seasoned my chicken with Mexican-influenced spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, and cumin), and I made a lime-sour cream-cilantro sauce to put on the quesadillas. Let's face it though, that's all pretty standard fare. But, throw in some peaches and pepper-jack cheese? Flavor-town! I love the pairing of the sweet peaches with the earthy flavor of the chicken, the tanginess of the sour cream, and the spiciness of the cheese. Ay-Chihuahua!

I do urge you to try this. It might not be the healthiest meal of the week, but it will be one of the tastiest :)

Ingredients (makes 2 quesadillas):

1 chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, and cumin
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 peach, peeled and diced
2 oz pepper-jack cheese, shredded
1 tsp cilantro, chopped
4- soft taco size flour tortillas

Directions:

1.  Rub olive oil on chicken breast. Season chicken breast with salt through cumin. Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken breast 10-14 minutes, or until done. Remove from grill, set aside to rest. Let rest for 10 minutes, chop chicken, and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine sour cream through salt. Mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Take 2 tortillas, spread 1-2 tsp of sour cream mixture onto each quesadilla. Sprinkle chicken, peach, and 1-oz pepper-jack evenly over each tortilla. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp cilantro over each tortilla. Take 2 remaining tortillas, and sandwich over the prepared tortillas. Place in skillet, cover with lid, and cook 1-2 minutes on each side. Cook until tortilla is browned, and cheese is melted.
4. Remove from heat. Slice into 4 sections, and serve immediately with any remaining sour cream mixture.

*Recipe adapted from Cooking Light*

2 comments:

  1. Hello, blog hopping and found your beautiful blog.

    Nice post.

    Please visit mine too and feel free to add comments.

    Thanks
    Rajiv
    www.magnificentdewdrops.blogspot.com
    www.magicalpresent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness gracious this looks totally awesome :)

    ReplyDelete