Well, the hubby and I have been in Oregon for a week now. We definitely needed the vacation. So far, we've had gorgeous weather, tons of Widmer Hefeweizen, a very tasty salmon, and plenty of sleep and good conversation. Time is flying here, I can't believe we are down 1 week on our trip! It's been a whirlwind.
One of the things I'm enjoying most about being home is getting back in the kitchen! I've helped my dad make several meals, including frying eggplant for eggplant parmigana, making a tomato-cream pasta dish, and baking cookies and biscuits for a family friend going through a difficult time. Baking was pure heaven on Wednesday. My parents gave me this recipe to make biscuits. I was a little hesitant, since I don't make a whole lot of biscuits. These turned out beautifully, however.
I was shocked to see that this recipe is from one of the blogs I follow. I did miss this post somehow, though. I think it was posted right before we left, and life was pretty much a blur of packing and organizing before we left ol' KY. It's a small world. These biscuits had great flavor, and the light, crumbly texture is delicious. Two thumbs up from the West Coast!
1 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup polenta
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne
6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tbsp jalapeno, diced
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour through cayenne. Stir in cheddar (reserving 1/4 cup of cheese) and jalapenos.
3. Make a well in the flour mixture. Pour the cream in the well, and mix ingredients together with clean hands. Mix just until the ingredients come together. Dough should be sticky and clumpy.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 3-4 times. Spread the dough out until it's 3/4 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out round biscuits.
5. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, placing biscuits an inch apart. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top of biscuts.
6. Bake 11-13 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately.
|Recipe Source: Simply Recipes|