I know what you're thinking.
Finally, something other than muffins! I thought I would give my muffin pans the week off and make a breakfast bread instead.
I'm not that experienced with bread but hey, you gotta start somewhere. I wasn't sure how long this was going to bake and I was worried I was going to over bake it, but I pulled it out of the oven at the perfect time (thanks to my handy kitchen thermometer!).
This smelled so good when it was baking, I just love the smell of fresh baked bread. The bread has a great texture as well and is very moist. The lemon and strawberry make the perfect spring combination.
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups strawberries, chopped
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
Lemon zest, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a mixing bowl. In separate mixing bowl, mix lemon juice and zest through vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet, stir until just combined.
3. Fold in strawberries.
4. Coat a loaf pan lightly with cooking spray. Spread batter into loaf pan with a spatula.
5. Bake in oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour (bread is done when knife inserted into bread comes out clean or temperature is 190 degrees). At the 35 minute mark, cover the top of the bread with a piece of aluminum foil to keep the top of bread from getting too dark.
6. Remove from oven, let set in pan for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from pan and let cool completely.
7. Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Drizzle glaze over the top of the bread, garnish with extra lemon zest.
*Store this in the fridge, to max out the longevity of the bread*