I made my first attempt at the Cream Cheese Danish and I was quite pleased with the result. While I didn't enjoy them (I have never liked a strong cream cheese flavor), the hubby loved them! They were for him anyway. My recipe was a cross between the Barefoot Contessa's and a recipe I found on All Recipes. Here's my version:
2- 8 ounce packages of cream cheese
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp sour cream
1 box puff pastry (2 sheets in a box)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter, very soft
Sliced almonds, toasted
1. Spread sliced almonds on cookie sheet and place under broiler for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and sour cream in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer until well combined.
4. Place one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 10 by 10 square. With a sharp knife, cut puff pastry into 4 squares.
5. Spoon cream cheese filling into middle of a puff pastry square. Brush beaten egg onto corners of puff pastry. Fold corners into center to make a little packet. Pinch seams together. Brush packet with the egg wash. Place packet on a prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with the other 3 squares.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with second puff pastry sheet.
7. Place cookie sheet in preheated oven, cook for 20-30 or until puff pastry is a nice, golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
8. Combine powdered sugar, milk, and butter. Mix until completely combined. You can then drizzle the icing on the danish if you wish but I placed mine in a pastry bag and piped mine on.
9. Sprinkle danish's with toasted, sliced almonds.
Linked to: Retro Re-Pin Party