|Almond Poppy Seed Muffins|
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk (I use 1%)
1 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl with hand mixer until well blended (I mix until I don't see any more flour lumps in the batter)
3. Fill lined muffin tins with batter (this recipe makes 24 standard size muffins or 48 mini muffins)
4. Bake muffins 20-25 minutes or until done. I checked my muffins at 18 minutes but ended up letting them bake for 20 minutes. They were perfect!
5. Cool in pan 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Allow muffins to cool completely (for storage). You can, of course, eat them while they are warm. Yum!
6. Enjoy with a nice, big glass of milk or cup of coffee
*Side note- The hubby informed me he received some flak at work for eating poppy seed muffins because they can make you fail a drug test. I am sure everyone has heard this urban legend, no? Here's what Snopes had to say regarding this matter: Poppy Seed Muffins/Drug Test. After doing some research on the internet I learned this myth can be true. Something to note though is that many, many companies have been sued for firing and/or not hiring people due to false positives on a drug test from poppy seeds. One woman received almost $1M because a company withdrew their employment offer after a false positive on a drug test from poppy seeds. In today's world, most companies have raised the cut off limit for a positive result, effectively eliminating any false positives from eating poppy seeds. Moral of the story? Enjoy your poppy seed muffins! The likelihood you will fail a drug test from eating them is slim to none.